Monday, April 03, 2006

a wasabi love affair....

ah, wasabi.... it must be love. i enjoy your company, and your presence, and yet - you hurt me. it must be love.

picked up a back of wasabi coated peanuts to snack on this weekend. wound up running several hours of errands on sunday - almost all of it stuck in a car and driving. so... out came the wasabi peanuts. mmmmmmm......

toss a half handful in my mouth, and realize why that was a bad idea the first time, and is still a bad idea now. sinus cavities open to maximum, and part of my forehead sinks in. once the initial hit wears off, i tone it down to a couple at a time, savoring the flavour and heat.

until i burned my tongue. i didn't know it was possible, but i guess after eating about 2 cups of these things, i maxed out the taste buds, and pretty much burned my tongue. that great sandpapery scrape over your teeth and feel nothing type of burnout.

which didn't stop me from finishing them....

4 comments:

Okami said...

You know what is good for that? Letting people know that you updated your blog...

I'm just saying that I've heard it works wonders for that kind of thing.

paul said...

okami: you mean not everyone is a geek and uses RSS feeds to be notified automagically? umm.... hey! i updated my blog! (whew - glad that helped)

Joe said...

Good man, messiah. Inspired by the wasabi conversation in my comments yesterday, effectively burned out my sinuses by eating two bags of wasabi peas last night - though I had no idea that it was possible to actually burn one's mouth with wasabi.

Now can you please teach Okami about Blogrolling?

paul said...

joe: ummmm blogrolling? i sense much work approaching. seriously - is that anything like the canuck lumberjack sport of logrolling? or more like shaking some poor blogger down for their money and air nikes?

diva: ate. i may need to go back and double check, but i am pretty sure i did use the past tense. spam spam spam eggs spam and spam. i'm not allowed to purchase said spam. i do miss the jelly though.

as for the foodstuff having a negative effect, well... turns out what i thought was wasabi burn, turned out to be a smoulder. sadly, it ignited when i opened my mouth to say something witty and some oxygen reached it. that is all that's left. my poor slightly used mind. marinating in a nice wasabi sauce.